Most viewed posts

1/25/2015

Throne Of Glass by Sarah J. Maas - REVIEW

Hey guys,      

I started the Throne Of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas, which is a YA fantasy series, two weeks ago (I know I'm late) and I'm going to review the first book of the series for you!
First of all I have to say that I have ONLY heard great things about it and I actually planned on starting the series last year but I never got around to buying it so I was super pumped when I finally ordered it. And second of all it usually takes me about two to three days to finish a book like this but since the holidays ended I had like no time to read and I ended up finishing it a week later. So here we go!

http://sarahjmaas.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Full-TOG.jpg 

Short Summary:

After having spent a year in death camp,18-year-old Celaena Sardothien is sent to the Crown Prince of Adarlan. Prince Dorian promises her freedom if she serves the King as his very own champion. Since Celeana is the most feared assassin of Adarlan Dorian believes that she's able to beat the other contestants who are also fighting for the title of the champion. Chaol Westfall, who is the Captain of the Guard, trains Celaena for the competition. Dorian and Chaol end up showing interest in the assassin but does she feel the same?
As the competition goes on one contestant after another dies... (more info) 

I wanna start of with the characters of the story. Celaena Sardothien is one of the coolest main characters ever. Why? Because she is a freaking assassin and she's only 18! HOW BADASS IS THAT?! I immediately fell in love with her personality because she seems so confident on the surface but in reality there's also another side to her. A sad and thoughtful side. Throughout the story we only get a few details on her past which makes me wanna pick up the second book in the series!
Then we have Prince Dorian and Chaol. I don't even know where to start. I swear, Dorian makes my heart melt. He's so polite and charming and just perfect in every single way. He knows that he shouldn't be getting close to Celaena but he just can't stop himself. He starts visiting her at night and both begin to have feelings for each other. 
Chaol on the other hand is trying to keep Dorian away from the assassin. But at the same time he also starts having feelings for her. Unlike the Prince, Chaol doesn't show Celaena that he likes her. He does the exact opposite which made me keep switching teams but now I can surely say that I'm on Team Dorian!
Thirdly we have Princess Nehemia Ytger, Princess of Eyllwe. Nehemia is a very sweet and lovable character who turns out to be a great friend to Celaena. But as the plot continues, the assassin starts unwillingly questioning their friendship. Is Nehemia the killer?
Last but not least we have Duke Perrington, Kaltain Rompier and the King Of Adarlan. Without wanting to give away too much I can assure you that you will immediately dislike these three characters. Kaltain would probably have to be the most annyoing character of the whole story. All she wants is to have Prince Dorian for herself and she's one of those people who would stop at nothing to reach their goal. Not very ladylike, Kaltain!

There were quite a few plot twists that surprised me and I would have probably read the book in a few days if I'd had the time. You don't really wanna put the book down because Sarah J. Maas has such a great writing style! What I really loved about the whole book was the fact that the story isn't just told from Celaena's point of view. We also get to know what some of the other characters think of the stuff that's going on. Especially Dorian and Chaol. The switching perspectives make everything even more interesting and overall I enjoyed the way the story was told. 

The second book in this series is called Crown Of Midnight, the third one Heir Of Fire and the title of the fourth book was released only a few days ago! It will be called Queen Of Shadows. I haven't picked up the second book yet but I will definitely pick it up soon! 

Throne of Glass is well written, super interesting and definitely a page turner. I really enjoyed reading it and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series! I recommend this book to fantasy lovers and people who are new to this genre. I give it 4 out of 5 stars!

I hope you liked my review and let me know in the comments what you think of Throne Of Glass and what book you want me to review next! :) - V

No comments:

Post a Comment