Most viewed posts

1/10/2015

FAVORITE BOOKS OF 2014

Hey guys, 
I might be a little late but since a new year started I also wanted to share with you the books I most enjoyed these past 12 months! 
I've joined this whole booktube thing in 2014.. so these books might not be new to you but that doesn't make them less amazing! :) So let's get started! 

And sorry for the weird background.. Blogger and its formatting seems to hate me :( 

1.) LUX - Jennifer L. Armentrout 




There’s an alien next door. And with his looming height and eerie green eyes, he’s hot…until he opens his mouth. He’s infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, he marks me. Turns out he has a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal his abilities and the only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to him until my alien mojo fades. If I don’t kill him first, that is.

This is only the jacket blurb of the first book called "Obsidian" 'cause I don't wanna give away too much. The series used to have 5 individual books. But the new edition contains only three because the first two books (Obsidian & Onyx) are combined in one just as the third and fourth (Opal & Origin). Only the fifth and final is a stand alone (Opposition).
I personally ADORE these books! They are super funny and Katy Swartz, the main character, is so relatable. The whole alien thing being set in this contemporary world is such a great concept. And Deamon..  I don't even know what to say. He's perfection. 
I marathoned the series and couldn't put it down. I recommend this to everyone who loves a good laugh, hot guys and some crazy alien action.




2.) The Infinite Sea - Rick Yancey



Surviving the first four waves was nearly impossible. Now Cassie Sullivan finds herself in a new world, a world in which the fundamental trust that binds us together is gone. As the 5th Wave rolls across the landscape, Cassie, Ben, and Ringer are forced to confront the Others’ ultimate goal: the extermination of the human race.
Cassie and her friends haven’t seen the depths to which the Others will sink, nor have the Others seen the heights to which humanity will rise, in the ultimate battle between life and death, hope and despair, love and hate.

This is a sequel to The 5th Wave and is definitely not the final one! I feel like a lot of people liked the first book way better but I thought the second was even cooler. The first one was more action packed and a lot happened but I believe The Infinite Sea was more intense. Some also say the various perspective thingy is confusing BUT I LOVED IT. It makes the book kinda tricky because new point of views are added. But for me it was fun to find out who was talking and very interesting. The whole book was frickin paranormal and mind blowing. One minute you think someone died and just as you start sobbing you find out it isn't even true!  
I reread The 5th Wave before I got to the new book and it was totally worth it. I wouldn't have recognized any of the characters actually.. so it's the best to marathon the series. 
I love Yancey's writing style and I'm super excited for the movie adaption with the beautiful Chloë Grace Moretz and the mysterious Alex Roe! It's going to be epic! 



3.) Slammed - Colleen Hoover 




Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.
Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.
Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.


This book made me cry even more than Allegiant did. And actually that's a pretty good sign. I read the German version of it and usually the translation makes a book less authentic for me. I have no clue why but I personally love the expression of emotions in English more. But this book touched me so badly that I feel like the English version must have an even bigger impact on the reader. So my first Colleen Hoover pick was incredible! The plot twist came so unexpectedly and the poetry throughout the whole book is very beautiful. The mix of family/love struggles and growing up is very relatable for all of us YA readers and the book is also very sexy and funny, just as we know Colleen Hoover. 
Don't be afraid of a bookhangover... there's a sequel called Point Of Retreat :)



4.) City Of Heavenly Fire - Cassandra Clare 




Sebastian Morgenstern is on the move, systematically turning Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. Bearing the Infernal Cup, he transforms Shadowhunters into creatures out of nightmare, tearing apart families and lovers as the ranks of his Endarkened army swell.
The embattled Shadowhunters withdraw to Idris - but not even the famed demon towers of Alicante can keep Sebastian at bay. And with the Nephilim trapped in Idris, who will guard the world against demons?
When one of the greatest betrayals the Nephilim have ever known is revealed, Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Simon, and Alec must flee - even if their journey takes them deep into the demon realms, where no Shadowhunter has set foot before, and from which no human being has ever returned...


DO I REALLY NEED TO TALK ABOUT THIS?!?!? If you haven't got all 6 books of the The Mortal Instruments series yet.. GET STARTED WITH THE MARATHON!!!! 
These books are simply amazing. Original, funny, sexy, dark, mysterious, action packed.. FLAWLESS. City Of Heavenly Fire is the final book of Cassandra Clare's (aka goddess) series. It rounds everything perfectly up and just makes SENSE. I don't really wanna give away anything so all I can say is that if you enjoy fantasy, romance and action you should be reading right now. Go! GO! 


I hope you enjoyed the spoiler free Part 1 of my Top 2014 booklist. Stay tuned for Part 2! 
Lots of looooove 
- R 


You're still here.... 
GO
NOW
READ

!! All synopsis are from goodreads.com !! 

No comments:

Post a Comment